Have you ever imagined what it would be like to play as Tails in Sonic Adventure 2 without his mech, like in the first Sonic Adventure? Sonic modder Sora_yxow has the answer with their mod called “Better Miles”. Released a few years ago, this mod is a Tails Gameplay Overhaul for the Steam version of Sonic Adventure 2. It removes Tails from his Tornado 2 Mech, giving him back his abilities from Sonic Adventure, and even adds new abilities such as the bounce attack, swimming, and a way to call the Tornado and fly around levels.
The mod features improved physics for Tails, making him faster with most of his actions. The Spin Jump has been restored, and most importantly, Tails can now damage enemies with it. The Rolling and Spin Attack from Sonic Adventure have also been fully ported, allowing Tails to roll and spin to destroy enemies on the ground or in the air. The Flight ability has been improved to make it as close as possible to his Sonic Adventure 1 version, allowing Tails to gain altitude and get tired just like in Sonic Adventure 1 (optional). Additionally, Tails’ victory pose from Sonic Adventure 1 has been fully ported, and the camera will now face him during the result screen.
Here is the full list of features:
- First of all, his physics has been improved, he is faster with most of his actions.
- The Spin Jump has been restored and most important part: he can DAMAGE the enemies with it.
- The Rolling from SA1 has been fully ported, if you have enough speed, press the action button and Miles will start rolling.
- The Spin Attack from SA1 has also been fully ported. Hold the action button and spin to destroy all your enemies. This also work in the air, nobody is gonna stop you.
- Now here’s the one you’ve been waiting for… That’s right the FLIGHT. It has been improved to make it as close as possible to his SA1 version. Miles can now gain altitude and get tired just like in SA1 (optional.) You may or may not know, but in SA1, it was also possible to fall faster if you were holding the action button, well this has been added here too.
- The victory pose from SA1 has been fully ported, big thanks to the x-hax community for their help with that. The camera will also face Miles during the result screen just like with regular character.
- There is an option to remove the mech and another one to play Miles (almost) everywhere.
- The mod edits some objects in game so you can complete EVERY Tails stages as mechless.
- Aditionally, the A ranks have been nerfed so you can get them without the mech.
- Most of the speed character actions have been added (Read below for more information.)
- Using vine
- Using bar
- Rolling (not somersault but same role)
- Grabbing the rockets (including the missile in Metal Harbor)
- Using board
- Light Dash
- Call the tornado (d-pad up)
- Transform the tornado to its mech version (d-pad up)
- Leave or detransfom the tornado (d-pad down)
- Boost with the Tornado (Y / Triangle)
Recently, the mod was updated to include even more features and fix bugs. So if you’re looking to take Tails out for a tail spin outside of his mech, head on over to the mod’s GameBanana page and check it out!